Gypsy moth problem

I have been using soapy water to kill Gypsy moth larva on two of my maples, my house, and a small shed. I would like to find more ways to help control them. I know I should look for eggs in the fall, but is there a way to get the moths before they mate? I know at least a couple homes or more on my block are having this problem in Big Rapids. Is there professional help available before we have a worse problem in the next few years?

Mecosta County Michigan

Hello. Gypsy moth caterpillars are an unwelcome nuisance. Usually your local county or township (give them a call) will have a control program because one homeowner treating is not usually effective management. Keep your trees well watered and do not fertilize them. Keep looking for egg masses in the fall. If the trees are healthy yet defoliate they should get more leaves yet this season. Here is a link to an article you may find helpful:
www.canr.msu.edu/gypsy_moth_caterpillars_once__again_attacking_trees_in_michigan