Hydrangeas

My hydrangeas look healthy but none of them bloomed. I have both smooth and panicle. Did not prune panicles. Watered, fertilized and in part shade. Morming sun. What could be reasons for no buds?

Saline County Nebraska

Thanks for your questions. You didn't mention how long these plants have been in place. It isn't unusual for shrubs to wait 3 years after planting before they begin blooming. If the plants are older, fertilization won't make them bloom and in some cases will actually delay blooming. For the panicle hydrangeas, it's a little early in the season for them to be setting blooms, typically they flower in August. Smooth hydrangeas bloom on new wood so our winters don't interfere with flowering. They should be blooming now and if they aren't, there may be other factors involved and it would be helpful to know more about how these shrubs are cared for.