Can you identify this tree?

I would like your assistance in identifying a young street tree.

Montgomery County Maryland

We think that this tree looks like a type of hornbeam. The genus is Carpinus and there are several species and cultivars.

Marian

Thank you. Can you possibly send me tips about pruning a columnar hornbeam?

Normally, you don't need to prune a fastigiate hornbeam, which is naturally columnar and will naturally keep that shape with no help. That's the beauty of it.

If you need to prune for some other reason, let us know your goal.

Ellen

Thank you for your assistance. I see what looks like an adult hornbeam across the street which has been pruned at the base. Looking on Google, I see both those having had no pruning and others which have been pruned at the lower trunk. I was shocked to see how tall this tree can grow. Perhaps pruning would maintain the shape a bit better in proportion to the small space on which it grows.

This is a big tree. It should not be pruned to keep it short. And you don't need to prune the side branches to maintain shape.

You'll probably want clearance under the tree for walking and cars. If you would like it to have a bare lower trunk and a "traditional" tree canopy, simply remove the lower branches, a few at a time. When a tree is young, those lower branches contribute to nurturing the tree's root system and overall growth. They can slowly be removed though. A few a year. Remove them before they get 1" in diameter.

Here is our page on pruning with many tips: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/pruning-trees#young

Ellen

Ellen

Thanks so much for all the great information!