Evergreen by Pool

We bought a house that had an evergreen close to the pool. It’s approx 60-80 ft tall. The house is approx 35 yrs old, the tree older I think. Anyway, it creates a huge mess all summer dropping needles all over the pool and surrounding area. I decided maybe if I watered it it may not drop so much? Husband says no. Any suggestions? I don’t want to remove it.

El Dorado County California

Thank you for your question. You’re both right. Evergreens are very susceptible to a lack of water, and watering can help them from becoming dehydrated at the last place for the water to reach—the needles. But global climate change is impacting these several species as well, and that is something the homeowner cannot change. California Extension doesn’t seem to have any materials on the topic, but this may provide some information about their water needs: https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/evergreen-trees-7-403/ Good luck!