Purslane

I have a xeriscape yard, so everything is some form of rock, this year I have had a large amount of purslane growing and I can’t rid the yard of it, so I thought I would just let it grow and be a ground cover. But I don’t like it so now I want to get rid of it. What spray could I use to effectively eradicate from the rocks, and what do I use to keep it gone. But I don’t want to hurt my plants that I have. Thank you

Bexar County Texas

Hello

If it's the wild yellow purslane that has started to flower, this will be a big weed mess for possibly years to come.

Spot spray early in on a non windy morning with a 41% plus concentration of a weed and grass glyphosate herbicide diluted at the highest recommended dilution rate on the instructions per gallon of water with a tablespoon of vinegar and surfactant (spreader sticker) per mix. Two applications may be needed in seven day intervals by completely spraying the entire weed as partial spraying may root the unsprayed portion back in the soil. Use a large piece of cardboard budded against delicate plants to prevent any wind drift damage potential as well as use an appropriate sprayer and nozzle.

A pre-emrgant herbicide granule such as Amaze or XL-2G needs to be applied in and around the area as recomended on the label in early March, eary June and again in late August for at least two years to minimize seeds from coming up.

Happy Gardening!

David Rodriguez -Extension Horticulturist
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
Bexar County/San Antonio