bagworm infestation

I have just detected for the second year, bagworms on an arborvitae. They are now just 1/4 inch long. Apart from removing them by hand, which I've started to do, what are the least toxic ways to get rid of them especially at the top of a tall arborvitae? Also, if necessary, what is an effective pesticide to use against them? Thanks, John

Baltimore County Maryland

Apart from removing the insects and bags by hand, you can use a biological control product called Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) to control the young bagworms. Now is actually a very good time to do this since the product only works well on the young/small bagworms. Consult and follow the product label directions. Multiple sprays may be necessary. Here is a link to more information.
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/bagworms-trees-and-shrubs

Christa

Christa, thanks very much for your response to my question. Glad to know that UME is still available to offer expert advice.

John