Potential for spread of symphylans between farms

Hello, How would you rate the risk of spreading symphylans from one farm to another via soiled boots or tools? Low risk, medium, high, or unknown? A gardener friend said they tested and identified symphylans in their garden. I'm so concerned about the risk of unknowingly transferring the symphylans to my farm that I no longer want to do any garden work at the infected garden site. Am i over-reacting or reasonable or...? Thanks! -Emily

Tillamook County Oregon

The best way to manage a pest problem is to avoid it in the first place. Good sanitation practices can help reduce the risks of cross contaminating farms with pests inadvertently.

Try to schedule work at your uninfested farm before moving to work at the infested farm. Be sure to thoroughly clean your boots and equipment (including vehicles you may drive to fields) at the infested farm before moving them back to the uninfested site. In fact, it is a great idea to clean boots and equipment at either location before moving them to the other site (this helps minimize the risk of other pests - besides sympyhlans cross contaminating sites).