Scanner pressure check

Asked June 24, 2020, 5:33 PM EDT

Are you having a canner pressure check at the Myrtle point office this summer?

Coos County Oregon

1 Response

The Coos County Extension office is doing gauge testing by appointment only to maintain safety/risk considerations for both customers and employees. Community members wanting to have their pressure gauges tested can call the office at 541-572-5263 ext. 25299 and leave a message. Someone will call back and arrange a time to drop off the gauge at the front entrance of the Coos County Extension Office, 631 Alder Street, Myrtle Point. You will be asked to wait in your car while Extension staff tests the gauge(s). Once testing is complete you can get out of your car to retrieve the gauge.

If you need to get your gauge tested, but are uncomfortable coming to the OSU Extension Service office, the Family & Community Health Program recommends that you convert your dial gauge canner to a weighted gauge canner, as weighted gauge canners do not require testing. If you own a Presto pressure canner, you can purchase a 3-piece weighted gauge from a store that offers canning equipment. If you own an All American canner, you can purchase a conversion kit online. For more information about pressure canners, consult the publication “Using and Caring for your Pressure Canner:”

Thanks for contacting Ask an Expert!