Unidentified Tree

Can you help me to identify this tree? It has large 6-inch long, 4-inch wide leaves, alternate, with a insignificant flowers and the leaves are a consistently yellowish color. The petioles and red and the stem is a reddish brown with no distinctive marks or characteristics. This is a real mystery to me. I found it as a seedling (likely came in with a plant that I purchased from a local nursery). The tree does not appear to be a native tree. Welcome your thoughts. Thank you!

Montgomery County Maryland

Unfortunately we cannot ID this plant yet, though perhaps when it does flower, that will point us in the right direction. You mention the flowers are insignificant, but we aren't sure if you mean that you have seen them or that you haven't and assume they are not prominent. Most woody plant (tree/shrub/vine) seedlings would not flower at such a young age.

The growth habit here looks a bit like a vine - especially if it needs to be staked. There are several native species of wild grape that look superficially similar to this, though the leaf shape isn't a perfect match. (This might be influenced by plant age, though.) If you wish to keep it, you can send us follow-up photos of any new growth that seems more distinctive - new leaf shapes, tendrils, blooms, etc.

Miri

Thank you so much for your response. You are right, I am unsure of the flowers. I think they appeared earlier this spring, but I can't be absolutely sure. I hadn't thought that the plant might be a vine. I will keep an eye on it over the summer, and, as you suggest, send a follow-up photo if new characteristics appear.

Great, we will be happy to take a look.

Christine