Selling wild caught reptile meat (only) in Mich.

Asked June 22, 2020, 8:39 AM EDT

I live in Michigan, but my extended family are fisherman in Louisiana. Yearly, we catch alligators in Louisiana and normally sell the entire (unprocessed) animal to tanneries.

If I want to sell the processed meat in Michigan commercially (to butchers or directly to restaurants), what permits/licenses are required on the Michigan side of this equation? I understand that the product needs to be USDA inspected in Louisiana before interstate transportation.

Oakland County Michigan

1 Response

Alligators are non-amenable species. This means that USDA inspection would be voluntary (paid for by processor) or it could be processed under Louisiana state meat inspection program and then shipped to/sold in Michigan. Depending on who is selling the meat and how in Michigan, a Food Establishment License may be needed from the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development. It may also be possible for the Louisiana business to sell the meat directly to meat processors or restaurants in Michigan as long as it comes from an acceptable state inspected program.