Cercis The Rising Sun Eastern Redbud

I planted this very young tree (2 ft) in the Fall of 2019. This year 2020 early Spring no sign of any growth, finally early in June new growth. The new growth is coming only at the soil line. I'm not sure what to do, there is no new growth started up the tree. I don't believe that it's reverted as all of the new growth leaf color is of The Rising Sun. Should I cut the tree, a 2 ft stick that appears to be dead back to soil line?

Oakland County Michigan

Thank you for reaching out. Would it be possible for you to attach a photo or two? That would really help our experts respond appropriately.

I cannot seem to post the pic. I bought a new Mac and am still not as familiar as I should be.

I was able to send you a photo through my from my phone, I don't see it posted here though. Please confirm that you have received the photo

Sorry, the photo didn’t come through. In any case, here is what you can do.

Allow the new sprout from the roots to grow.

Keep this tree watered during hot dry weather, like right now. Remove any grass growing around it in a circle about 2-3 feet in diameter. Put shredded or chipped bark or wood mulch on the circle 3-4 inches deep. Do not let the mulch touch the new stem/trunk.

This fall use a paper trunk wrap or a piece of burlap and loosely wrap the new trunk up just below the first branch. Place a small fence of hardware cloth or other small mesh around the tree trunk 2 feet tall and about 1-2 feet out, anchored in the soil. This will prevent gnawing by rabbits or other wildlife when they are hungry in winter. Leave the mulch in place year around.

Next spring remove the fence and the trunk wrap. Refresh the mulch if needed. Give the tree a fertilizer for trees and shrubs following the directions on the label.. Again, keep the tree watered during dry times, spring through fall( we can have a drought anytime of the year now!)

Repeat the winter protection of fence and trunk wrap for several seasons until the tree has developed thick bark.

You may prune the dead growth off now or this fall. Carefully cut it away so as not to scratch or cut into the new growing stem.

Here is a reference on tree care, and one on winter protection-

https://www.seattle.gov/trees/planting-and-care/young-tree-care

https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/winter-protection-for-landscape-plants.html