Hazelnut tree issue

I am wondering if you can tell me what is going on with my filbert tree. I have attached a picture. Someone told me that it was blight, but I have looked and didn't see bumps on the trunk. Thank you for any help you can give me! Sandy Morris

Linn County Oregon

Difficult to know from the photos as there are many issues that can can cause chlorotic (yellow) leaves like that. I am assuming this is not from an orchard but from a backyard tree? It looks like potential magnesium deficiency from leaves alone, but there could still be an issue in the roots, trunk or stems that is causing it. Does the tree have adequate drainage? You might inspect for signs of dead wood on the trunk or branches.

Yes, this is a backyard tree, my first year having it. Someone said that they thought it might be blight, but there wasn't any of the bumps on the trunk. It's still pretty spindly. I have it mulched and then of course it rained for weeks. What I thought was strange is that the brown seems to be coming from the center veins of the leaves. Low magnesium is an easy fix. How much Epsom salts should I put on? I have 2 trees, and the second one is unaffected. They are about 4 & 1/2 ft. Tall. Thanks so much!

Blight could mean two things, bacterial blight or eastern filbert blight (EFB), and I think you are thinking of the latter by referring to bumps on the trunk, which are called stromata. These would not appear until 15 months after infection in the spring. Is this a cultivar that is resistant to eastern filbert blight, in other words an OSU release? If so, infection by EFB is highly unlikely unless you have very high levels of EFB in your vicinity. Bacterial blight can also cause yellowing and lesions on leaves
and young trees are very susceptible. In commercial orchards we recommend copper sprays applied in the fall to prevent bacterial blight infections. Now that you've told me it is a young tee, I'm less inclined to think it is a nutritional issue.