Various Vine Roots -White Pine and Spruce

I have two Large +25’ White Pine and one Spruce (black hills??), I just removed two seasons worth of weeds/vines that began climbing on each, removed majority of the vine roots but notice around the perimeter of each pine spruce “ball”, what appears to be route system of some sort Could this be part of the vine root system? If so best way to remove, manually clip pull or use some other method?? Thanks Martin Doa

Livingston County Michigan

Hello Martin,

Thank you for using the Ask an Expert system. I don't feel comfortable answering your question about root removal because I'm not sure what you mean by the "pine spruce “ball”" and not sure what type of weedy vines you had, or what the root system you want to remove looks like. I do appreciate the photos, but the removed vines are not very clear, and I don't think I can see the remaining root system that you're talking about in the photos.

You could try sending a clearer picture(s) of the weedy vines (if you still have any) and the remaining roots in question. Or, you might have to consult with a reputable arborist or landscaper.

If consulting an arborist, I would suggest using an an ISA-certified arborist, if possible. (ISA = International Society of Arboriculture) Search for an ISA-certified arborist near you at https://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist/arboristsearch .

Sorry I couldn't be of more immediate help.

Regards, Irene

Ok, will expose root ball and vine roots and sample typical pic of vines. Thanks Marty

Please send me photos if you're still interested. Thank you.

Roger that this week end if no rain when I cut grass etc...