What kind of tree or shrub is this?

I need help identifying this tree in front of my mom’s house. She thinks it’s a rubber plant but I don’t think one of those would have survived one Michigan winter let alone 10 or so.

Wayne County Michigan

It looks like a very healthy Rhododendron which, depending on the species will survive very well in Wayne County.
Thanks for your question.

This hasn’t ever produced flowers like a rhododendron, though. That’s why she thought it was a rubber plant. Is that possible? Here are 2 more pics. It also doesn’t lose its leaves in the winter. It just kind of goes dormant. These 2 pics are from before it started to grow new leaves for the season.

It certainly looks like a Rhododendron. Rhododendrons do not bloom if they are in dense shade, drought or overferilization. They prefer an acid soil so a soil test may help. Go to https://homesoiltest.msu.edu/get-started to obtain a kit.

The shrub could also be a Mountain Laurel Kalmia latifolia, but they too have flowers and live in similar conditions.
Thanks for your question.

Thank you!