How to eliminate this vine

Every here, all year, this vine entwines itself in my azalea bushes. I find the root and dig them all out. But every year they come back. What is this invasive thing and how can I get rid of it permanently?

Baltimore County Maryland

This looks like a type of bindweed perhaps hedge bindweed (Calystegia sepium). Unfortunately, this is a persistent perennial vine that is very challenging to control, as you have noticed. It produces very long roots. You can cut or mow back the top growth repeatedly to try to starve the root system. It a very fast grower so you would have to keep after it and cut/move it often.

If that is not practical to do, you can spot-treat the plants with a registered post-emergent herbicide. Glyphosate is a total vegetation killer that translocates down to the root system and will kill the entire plant. You may need to do repeat applications. You will need to protect your desired ornamental plants. Glyphosate may be carefully painted or dabbed onto the leaves so that the application is precise. Be sure to carefully read and follow all label directions. Repeated applications may be necessary.

There is more information about bindweed on the following pages.