Hemlock

Asked June 12, 2020, 2:56 PM EDT

We discovered hemlock in our backyard. What is the proper way to get rid of this poisonous plant?

Multnomah County Oregon

1 Response

Poison hemlock and Western waterhemlock are dangerous, toxic plants to animals and humans. Wear appropriate clothing to protect yourself and dispose of plants in garbage bags if manually removing the plants. Don’t touch your eyes or mouth with hands or gloves that have touched the plants. This article from OSU Extension details the plants and precautions, “Poison hemlock and Western waterhemlock: deadly plants that may be growing in your pasture” https://extension.oregonstate.edu/crop-production/pastures-forages/poison-hemlock-western-waterhemlock-deadly-plants-may-be-growing
Now I’ll back-track a bit and bring up the look-a-like plants. Download Western Waterhemlock in the Pacific Northwest, PNW 109. The color photos of similar-looking plants will help you be sure you know how to deal with the plants growing on your property. https://pubs.extension.wsu.edu/western-waterhemlock-in-the-pacific-northwest