Peace lilly

Hi there
I have a Peace Lilly which has been doing every well for many years. I went away unexpectedly and the Peace Lilly did not get watered. When I came back, the leaves and flowers are all brown and so was the root too.

I cut the plant to the bottom and started watering again. I found although the root is still brown but I can see some green bits underneath (see photos attached). Can I save the plant - if so how best to do this? THANKS Joanne

Maryland

If it has enough root that's still alive, it may be able to put out new shoots. Keep watering. However, it will not be absorbing too much water at first, so be careful to soil that is moist, but not soggy. Plants like soil about as damp as a wrung-out sponge.

Avoid water with salts (from a treatment system.) Rain water is amazing. It seems to contain some nutrients.
Since these plants don't like fertilizer salts, only fertilize with organic fertilizer.

Ellen

Hi Ellen

Thanks but how do I know it has enough root? It is brown at the stem (as you can see from the photo) but i can see some green bit in the root. I have been making sure that the soil is damp. I still can't see any new shot yet - how long does it take normally?

Thanks
Joanne

This is not a normal situation, so we can't tell you how long it will take or even whether it will be able to resprout. You'll just have to wait and see.

Ellen