Drooping cardinal flower

I have three plants, in full sun in the garden, all look to be doing well. Today I noticed several of the stalks on one plants are seriously drooping. Too little water? Although it just rained two days ago, and the other ones,look fine. I was told by gerten’s last year it’s also possible to overwater them and rot the root. What would you recommend? Tallest stalk is about 18-20”. Thanks!

Hennepin County Minnesota

Drought stress would show up as drooping leaves, not the entire plant collapsing. More likely too much water and perhaps root rot. Also, I can't see what the stem of the plant looks like from your photos, but critter damage is another possibility. Perhaps something was laying on them?

Wait and see would be my recommendation.

Oddly enough, they perked up again after they were in shade. I haven’t watered them this year, only what rain has fallen. I’ll make sure I don’t water them and see what happens. No critter damage evident. Thanks, Dennis! Marjean

On Dennis’s behalf, you’re welcome!