Pruning Bush

Hello Ask An Expert, Thank you for your time. I am attaching a few photos of an evergreen bush in front of our house. It needs to be pruned and trimmed but I do not want to over do it. How far back can I trim this bush and then keep it trimmed so it does not take over like it has. I hope the photos are helpful. Sincerely,

Anne Arundel County Maryland

The shrub/bush that you have there is a Yew.
It is leaning far out and bending trying to get more light. While they can tolerate full shade, they perform better and are happiest in full sun to part shade in evenly moist soil that drains well. (The heavy repeated rains of the last couple of years found a lot of yews dying in wet, poorly draining soil).

They can take a hard pruning but given the lack of sun and how close it's planted to the house you might consider transplanting it to a better position or putting something else there.

Christine