Insect damage on snap bean

This is the 2nd year I have had similar insect damage on snap beans without seeing the critters in the daytime. Last night I examined several plants and found a small critter that appeared too small to make such large holes in the leaves. There were only 2 insects on 6 short rows while I was examining the plants last eve. I took a picture of the leaf and the insect so please tell me how to send it to you. I would like to know the ID of the critter, your opinion concerning the cause of the holes in the leaves, and control measures. Say hello to Brian Butler for me. Thanks Ben Coffman

Carroll County Maryland

Hi-
Here's a short video showing you how to submit photos through Ask an Expert:

If that doesn't work you can email them to me at jont@umd.edu

There are several beetle species (e.g. Oriental beetle, bean leaf beetle) that feed on bean foliage early in the season. Feeding is often nocturnal and injury is relatively minor and doesn't typically require control measures.

I'll let Brian know next time I see him.
Jon