problem with a new espalier apple tree

I planted a new espalier apple tree this Spring. it is in full sun against an iron fence in my back yard. The tree has 3 varieties and we are very excited to add this tree to our collection. After a beautiful show of blossoms on all branches, the new shoot from one of the main branches (6 total) has died. This happened in the past week. There is also a brown spot on the leaves below the dead shoot. Also this branch has more curled leaves than the other branches. I am wondering if this is fire blight. I have attached a photo. In the photo the dead shoot is the top most part in the picture, and the leave discoloration looks very much the same color as the iron fencing, and it is spreading to other leaves as you look around the photo. Thanks for any advice. Raymond Boyle NE Minneapolis

Hennepin County Minnesota

The shepherd's crook appearance of the affected shoot is a classic symptom of fire blight. That being said, we can't diagnose the problem with certainty by viewing the photos.

You may already have visited these websites but they contain reliable information about fire blight, how to diagnose and control it.