Snakes under groundcover?

Hi, we have a standard suburban home in Silver Spring. The backyard abuts an other backyard. The periphery of the backyard is covered by high (up to 3 feet) of ground cover. I don't mind leaving it like this, but do I have to worry about snakes?

Montgomery County Maryland

Snakes can live or be anywhere, even in the middle of a lawn. They are not dangerous in Maryland suburbs. You do not need to remove this groundcover.

Incidentally, snakes are beneficial and eat mice, which are the main carriers of ticks which carry Lyme disease. So, actually, we need them in our landscapes.

Ellen

Ellen