Diseased Red Maple

Many of the red maples on my property are losing leaves, limbs are dying out. Others are big and healthy. All are about 40 years old (planted in our sub around 1990)

Washtenaw County Michigan

Common causes of maple decline with branch dieback are girdling root, verticillium wilt and too little or too much water(flooding or soggy saturated soils) repeatedly over the years.
I can’t see much detail in your pictures, but two of them look like the trunks are going straight into the ground with no flare outward where the main roots begin. This is a sign of being planted too deeply, and
Can be a sign of girdling roots.
Here is more on that condition-
I have attached 3 pictures, the first shows a healthy root flare, the next two show a flat sideed trunk and a tree planted too deeply with signs of girdling roots.
Verticillium wilt needs diagnosis by a lab or certified arborist. Here are details on that disease.
With several trees needing help I recommend hiring a certified arborist to come on site, walk the property and give you a plant care plan. Some trees may need girdling roots removed and an arborist can correctly do that. A certified arborist is a professional who has taken training in care, diseases, pests and passed certification tests. Find certified arborists by zip code here—-