Epsam salt?

I’ve planted some Serrano Peppers this year for the first time in a container on my deck. From what I’ve read, I’m supposed to give them a good bath in Epsam Salt a while after transplanting them. Never did it with the Jalapeños I’ve planted in the past. Any truth of this story? Seems strange to me.

Arapahoe County Colorado

Epsom salt is a household product used for magnesium deficiency; however, CSU recommends never using household products for anything gardening-related. Native (ground) soils in Colorado generally do not lack magnesium, but a soil test is always recommended.

Potting soil for container-grown plants may lack some of the minor nutrients found in native soil: calcium, magnesium, sulfur, and iron. The deficiencies can cause plants to turn yellow, suffer from things like blossom end rot or become stunted.

Because container plants are watered more frequently and are grown in non-native soils, they should be fertilized. Select a premium grade fertilizer that contains both major (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium) and minor (calcium, magnesium, sulfur, and iron) nutrients. Read the ingredients on the label before purchasing the fertilizer and apply according to directions.