zucchini

When I lived in Vt , my zucchini grew in abundance. But here in Md I have tried and lucky to get one good one. There is worm that gets into the vine. As it travels in the vine it kills the plant. Is there anything I can do to prevent it. I have tried over the years to grow the zucchini in different areas of my yard without success. I have pets and grandkids that live with me so I prefer not to use any poisons.

Wicomico County Maryland

Hi- the squash vine borer is one of the toughest pests to control in the garden. It is considered an especially serious pest of zucchini.

Please read our detailed web page on the pest and how to prevent and manage it.
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/diseases-stone-fruit

A few other things to consider:

• plant multiple crops 2 weeks apart; you can plant summer squash in your location up through the end of July.
  • try an older, rambling cultivar (e.g., Costata Romanesco) that roots to the ground wherever large stems contact the soil. This makes the plant more impervious as larval feeding in the main stem won't reduce growth and fruiting in the ancillary rooted stems.
Jon