Identify hogweed

I have a plant in my back yard about 3' high leaves are 18" to 2' long, green splotched with purple stem...could this be poisonous/hogweed

Ingham County Michigan

Yes, this appears to be giant hogweed. Below is a link with additional information on this plant. If you have additional questions about control please email me at millera3@msu.edu
https://www.canr.msu.edu/resources/giant_hogweed

Can I ask where in Ingham you are located and where this is growing, just curious?

Should I have this removed from my yard?

Yes, I would remove it. How many plants are there? The problem with this plant is when you get the sap on your skin and it is exposed to UV light it can cause photodermatitis and it can cause painful blisters. Most plants have their sap on the inside, this plant has sap on the outside on the hairs and you can get it on you quite easily. I would spot treat with Roundup and let it dry down and die. It might take a couple of applications. When it is brown and dead you can bag it up in the trash. Make sure you wear gloves. If there are not a lot of plants you should be able to handle this on your own. If you have a large patch you can contact a landscape company and see if they will treat it for you. Try to take care of it before it flowers and produces seed. Is this the first time you have noticed this plant? It is non-native so I am interested in how it got there in the first place.

I have seen other plants like this in some of the ditches around this area, I've heard they may be poisonous, and when I saw this I wanted to make sure. Perhaps just seeded there. I live in an open farming area, who knows