Rose bushes dropping ALL leaves

Two rose bushes which I purchased from The Home Depot Garden Center and planted October 2019 looked beautifully and developed healthy looking dark green leaves and rose buds on every branch. During last month both bushes started dropping leaves but the rose buds bloomed. The bushes are now completely bare of any leaves. I didn't prune the bushes nor fertilized them, mainly because I was unable to buy rose fertilizer during the pandemic. I didn't water too often! Shall I prune the branches aggressively; one very long branch developed at a fast pace and has leaves growing. Thank you, Charles

Anne Arundel County Maryland

You did not mention the site conditions and location. The roses look like they are growing in the shade. We notice that they are growing next to hostas that are shade loving plants.
Roses need full sun to put out their best growth and flowering. They need at least 6-7 hours of sun daily during the summer. At this point we recommend that you transplant the roses to a sunny location. You can transplant now.
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/non_HGIC_FS/EB164.pdf

Marian