Moths

Please tell me if you know what kind of moth this is. We were getting tons of these little moths in our house whenever the temps reached 70°. Eventually, we realized they were coming in through the bathroom fan, so we put a screen in there. That helped a lot when all the windows were closed. But now with windows open, I’m wondering if they manage to come in around the edges of the screen. Sometimes the outside of the screen is covered with these moths. What are they and how can we treat them outside so maybe we won’t get so many inside? We are constantly vacuuming them up at night. This problem started end of summer last year, then went away as soon as temperatures cooled off. But now they’re back in full force. I want to get rid of them, but don’t know how.

Caroline County Maryland

We cannot see details of the wings and body parts for an accurate identification. It would be helpful to submit more photos in focus so we can see what you may be dealing with.

There are several types of moths that may be found indoors such as the Indian meal moth, a pantry pest and clothes moths. Often Indian meal moths are mistaken for clothes moths.
Do some detective work. What is around, nearby, or above this bathroom fan?
Look for a food source nearby such as bird seed, spices, packaged foods, and/or animal foods. Many pantry pests are very small and can crawl under loose fitting lids. Do not store products in plastic bags or cardboard boxes as the insects can chew through them. You will have to find the source and throw it out. If in a pantry closet, vaccum and wipe down the shelves with warm soapy water (pay close attention to where the wall meets the ceiling and floor, which is where they most often pupate.) Look through foods like cereals, cake mixes, grains. Look for larvae. Vaccum the moths and discard the bag. See this link for more detailed information: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/indian-meal-moth

Here is information on clothes moths https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/clothes-moths

Marian

I'm pretty sure they're not coming from my kitchen. I've checked all of my food containers and see no evidence of anything amiss. I have emptied all of my cabinets and cleaned thoroughly. We have no bird seed or pet food as we do not own any pets. As for clothes moths, I don't see any evidence of that either. I've cleaned my closets and do not see any evidence on any clothes. I do believe they find their way in at night and then we vacuum them up. I would love to know what kind of moth it is, though, so I know what I'm dealing with. I will see if I can get some better pictures.

We will wait for better photos in focus and any additional information that you can provide.

Marian