125 gal pond inhabitants

BACKGROUND I have a new 125 gal pond with 200 gal pump. We’ll be putting a 6” docile adult red eared slider turtle in there, after we give a few goldfish a weeks alone in it. We have two water hyacinths, a pitcher plant. We have another plant I don’t know about. It’s dark purple-black, 8” tall, leaves all around and all the way up the stem. SNAIL QUESTION From what I’ve read, snails will join us, uninvited, from the yard or from future plants. My hostas are very close to this pond. I cannot have my hostas eaten. So, I’m thinking I should get assassin snails. Assassin snails breed slower than most, wont help the turtle and fish to destroy the water plants, and the won’t leave the pond to get my hostas. I’m thinking I can sell any extra snails to area residents as it’s not in common for folks to have a little pond. That way no assassins would starve, hopefully. What do you think of this? Questions, comments, and concerns are very welcomed and appreciated in advance. DUCKWEED QUESTION: I’d planned to put a very, very small amount of duckweed in the pond, and keeping it in check as needed just by plucking excess out, in order to attract frogs just because they’re cute and we’d love to keep attracting the female mallard that just lost her mate. They’ve been coming to us ten years now. Unless maybe she finds another mate... One duckweed question is, would mama mallard eat our goldfish? If so, we have some decisions to make there. We'll just have to protect the goldfish and hope she keeps coming to the remaining water spots so we get to see her. Maybe I’ll slip some duckweed into those spots. The second duckweed question is: will other carnivores be attracted to our fish, ones that otherwise wouldn’t have been if it weren’t for the duckweed? I read that several Michigan carnivores were eat duckweed, as well as mice and rats. Maybe I should avoid the duckweed and hope the frogs and toads and a satiated mama duck come by without duckweed and without harassing or eating the fish. There must be a way to keep the fish safe and have our other wishes come true. I could start a tiny, aerated, duckweed “pond”. Somehow. Again, ideas, thoughts, concerns are welcome and very appreciated! Thank for your time!

Wayne County Michigan

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.