Canning cauliflower

I would like to include cauliflower pieces in a canned soup base with broth, tomato sauce, chicken, and spices. I find recipes and guidelines only for pickling cauliflower and warnings not to can cauliflower puree. I would appreciate any guidelines or, better yet, a recipe to use as a template.

Clackamas County Oregon

Thanks for contacting Ask-the-Expert. As you probably figured out from doing your own research, there is not an approved method for water bath canning cauliflower as a plain vegetable. Because it is a low acid food, it would need to be pressured canned, which would change the color, soften the texture, and change the flavor to something less than palatable. You could still add cooked cauliflower pieces to the soup when you served it, however.

Regarding your request for a recipe to use as a template, I have attached the following link for a soup recipe from the National Center for Home Food Preservation:
https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/soups.html.