What apple disease is this?

This cider apple tree just started dying at bloom this month. We cut it down and removed all the wood from the orchard but I’m concerned it could spread to our other 250 trees. I’m so hoping you can identify the pathogen and suggest organic treatments. This tree was 7 years old, variety Vilberie

Jefferson County Washington

Hi--thanks for your question. It looks like your tree has a fungal disease called anthracnose. You are correct that it can spread to the other trees. Be sure to clean up all plant debris left from the tree. You will need to keep a very close eye on the trees nearby. The area may look like a small, circular bruised spot on the bark at first, and later develops into the cankers that appeared on the tree you removed. You may also see brown bruised looking spots on stored apples. I'll give you some links with the details, but the treatment is to cut out the diseased portion with a sharp knife, and treat with a fungicide. Fungicide treatment must be accompanied by canker removal to be effective. Treat before fall rains start. Many of the fungicides are organic. Good luck! http://hortsense.cahnrs.wsu.edu/Public/FactsheetWebPrint.aspx?ProblemId=1