Pruning sealer

We do not know the name of the tree. It has berries (inedible), is eight years old, medium reddish leaves, and about 15 feet tall. We pruned it today. the limbs we pruned range between 1/16' to 1 1/4' in diameter. Two limbs were about 1 1/4" in diameter. The others were less than a 1/2". What are the guidelines for using pruning sealer. Should it be used or not...make our own...buy it....etc... The tree should have been pruned during the dormant part of its year. The tree's owner insisted on having it pruned today, however. My wife worked at OSU Extension Services (OSUES) when I met her in 1987. Vivian Wilson was her name then. She always recommended OSUES when it came to questions about plants and animals and other information related items.

Clackamas County Oregon

Thank you for your question. Dr. Chalker-Scott has the best WSU Extension paper on this topic, dispelling the myth that sealer is a good thing: https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/wound-sealer.pdf I hope you find it both helpful and entertaining. Hello to Vivian (before my time), and good luck!