Collecting seeds from annuals

Hi! Can you please advise on how I can get seeds for the following plants? They are annual and ideally I don't want to have to buy them every year: petunias, impatients, vinca vines and sweet potatoes vines. I would like to know what to look for so that I can collect seeds and plant them for next year. Thank you in advance. -Allison Au

Hennepin County Minnesota

Hello!

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Please follow this link to a related article - https://local.extension.umn.edu/local/douglas/county-horticulture-educator/article/fill-your-garden-...

Hope this helps.

The article did not address my question. I did not need help growing annuals but rather identifying and collecting seeds from it so I can keep it for next season. Can you help advise? Thank you. Allison

How to harvest impatien seeds:

How to harvest petunia seeds:

How to harvest vinca seeds:

Ornamental sweet potato vines are usually propagated from cuttings, not seeds.
Learn more here:

Blossoms of annuals grown from harvested seed may not be identical to those borne by the plants that produced the seeds.

We hope this helps.