Dandelions in the flower beds

We have a flower bed on a hill of approximately 4000 lilies. This year we’ve seen a enormous amount of dandelions in the beds and other weeds. Is there anything we can do to get rid of the dandelions, grass and other weeds on our Lily bed? Too many to pull by hand, way too many! We face the southwest on Lake Michigan. I will try. To include photos but am Not computer savvy so if you do not receive the photos please call me at 614-286-4445 and I can email them to you or text them to you. Thank you

Emmet County Michigan

Unfortunately there are not a lot of great options for post-emergence weed control of dandelions in daylillies. Scythe (pelargonic acid) and Suppress and HomePlate (caprylic acid + capric acid) are labeled for post emergence suppression of weeds as a directed application. These herbicides have contact activity only, so may require multiple applications to provide adequate suppression.

There are a few more preemergence herbicide options to control weeds coming up from seed, which may be a good preventative step for the future. If you'd like to discuss that further, please contact me via email (hiller12@msu.edu).

Because you are on the shoreline of one of the Great Lakes a permit may be required prior to making an herbicide application; contact the MI Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) Aquatic Nuisance Control Program Staff at (517) 284-5593 for more information. Also, a list of approved aquatic herbicides needs to be consulted on the MI EGLE website (https://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/wrd-anc-approvedherbicides_445623_7.pdf). These herbicides I listed above do not currently appear on this list, so you'll need to ask EGLE about this when you call if a permit is required.