Steady stream of steam

by the time i get a steady stream of steam my pressure is at 10 lbs that I need. Why is that? My 910 All American says to put 3inches of water but 3 inches covered my pint jars by a full inch. By the time I pressure cann for 20mins for a vegy I am only left with 1/2 inch water when I put in only 1 1/2 inch of water cause the canner seems to do better at that level. How do I cann for more than 25 if I don't have enough water??

Montgomery County Ohio

It looks like a portion of your question may have been cut off, but I will try to answer with the information available. It would be nice to be able to talk on the phone to more accurately troubleshoot some things.

So you are saying that when you put 3 inches of water in your 910 All American pressure canner, it covers the pint jars, but by the time you have vented the canner for 10 minutes and then processed the product for 20 minutes, there is only 1/2 inch of water left.

Is a lot of steam escaping through the pressure regulator (the weighted gauge rocker)? Once your pressure canner reaches the processing pressure (i.e. 10 psi for vegetables), you only need enough heat from your burner to maintain that consistent pressure. If you keep your burner on high and have a full, rolling boil the entire processing time, your pressure regulator is rocking away and releasing steam, thus lowering your water level. A consistent pressure is easier to maintain on a gas burner than an electric coil burner because electric coil burners cycle on and off.

Is there steam escaping from around the sides of the canner? This could also be a source of water loss. An All American has a metal to metal closure. It may need to be cleaned down to the smooth metal surface and then oiled according to your manufacturer's instructions.