Help. My Star Jasmine isn't doing well.

Hello.

At the state of my Star Jasmine (that has only been in its pot for less than 3 weeks) is horrible. I know I don't have a green thumb, but this is so sad. It's such a beautiful plant and I thought it would thrive in on our front porch. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Arapahoe County Colorado

Trachelospermum jasminoides, or Star Jasmine, is native to eastern and southeastern Asia which are much warmer and humid climates—and if this was purchased from a greenhouse, it was probably thriving. Jasmines also grow well in California and the southeastern United States (Zones 8-11). Arapahoe County is Zone 5.

As of today, May 26, there have been only 14 days of temperatures over 70 degrees, and there have been 19 nights under 50 degrees, 10 of them under 40 degrees.

In short, it is too cold for this plant and there also may not be enough humidity. Although plants native to the tropics can live in outdoor containers in Colorado, they should be set out once it does not get below 55 degrees at night and daytime temperatures should exceed 75 degrees on a consistent basis.

The soil looks a little dry in the photos, which generally causes drooping plants. And it should also have a thick layer of mulch on top to help retain moisture. If the weather gets below 55 degrees at night, throw a frost blanket over the plant, or bring it indoors.

The same will be true at the end of summer when day and night temperatures start to cool, this will have to be an indoor plant in a room with a lot of light, warm temperatures, and lots of humidity.