Spider ID

I found what I think is a nest of these spiders in some wood chips on top of garden soil, south facing slope at about 800 feet in SW Portland.

Multnomah County Oregon

Thank you for the i mage. This is a female wolf spider (Pardosa species) carrying her egg case.

Wolf spiders don't have a nest. They are classified as wandering spiders and each individual is a hunter of small insects on the ground. They are not dangerous to people or pets.

After the babies hatch from the egg case, they will climb onto mom's abdomen as hitchhikers until they are capable of getting around on their own.

See "Spiders Common in Home Gardens and Landscapes" - http://web.pdx.edu/~smasta/MastaSpidersYard.html#Pardosa

Thank you so much for this information. There are four or five similar spiders always together in that one spot, which is why I thought it was a nest. Do they raise young communally? Or why would the females be together like that? So interesting to watch them!

Wolf spiders are very common in the northwest, and are often seen in the spring. So you may be several different spiders of the same kind. They don't have a nest nor do they spin a web.Then, too, each female raises her own youngsters.

Unfortunately the link I included doesn't go to the section about wolf spiders. Try this instead:
- Once there, click "Wandering Spiders"
- Then click the 4th small image under that heading.