Soft scale - coccus hesperidum

I believe my umbrella plant was infected with soft scale insects. I noticed them when they were on the leaves and have been treating them with rubbing alcohol, regular washing, and daily sprays of diluted name oil and Bramers soap. It is looking better and has two new shoots on the top. The new growth has some spots on it though and I’m not sure what that is. Though I haven’t found new skills on the leaves I am concerned that the scales are on the main stalk. Are these pockmarks something to be concerned about? Are the markings on the new growth? Candace plant recover? Thank you!

Multnomah County Oregon

Thank you for your question. What you are seeing is the damage done from the scale’s feeding on the plant. That is as good as it is going to be, but you’ve done a great job eliminating them. You’ll need to be vigilant. Good luck!

Thank you! I hope you don’t mind if I have a follow up question . Some of the pockmarks look like scales. Is there a way to tell if it is a scale or a pockmark? As long as I rub them with rubbing alcohol are they dead for sure?

If they are still bumpy, they are still alive. If they are craters, they are not.