What are these bugs?
Hello. Thanks for your photo. I want to ask a few questions, to be sure that we are correctly identifying the insect.
- What is the size of the insect? Either measure or put a penny (or similar item) near them for some comparison.
- Where in the bedroom are you finding them - near windows, attracted to lights, etc.
- Is the room near a kitchen / pantry, or is there food in the bedroom (my kids would often leave some leftover snacks that I would find later).
- Is it just the three that you found? More? If yes, estimated numbers.
- When did you first noticed them?
Smaller than a fly but bigger than a nat.
Hello. I reached out to one of our entomologists in Ohio for confirmation. He suspects that you have one of the ground beetles and shared this link with additional photos: https://bugguide.net/node/view/730201
They can be attracted to lights so he suggested to check the screens and any gaps around windows and vents.
They will not cause damage inside the home. You can use a vacuum to remove them for the room. Good luck! Amy