Building a new irrigation pond

Asked May 22, 2020, 4:33 PM EDT

We purchased a farm in Culver in January. We would like to upgrade its irrigation - currently a ditch that drains into the field after the pump. We would like to have a pond to capture the runoff and increase efficiency. We have a total of 79 acres with 65 acres irrigation rights. We also think that replacing the ditch with 6 inch pipe may also increase efficiency. Is there any technical assistance available through the extension service? Also interested in any other resources available to us? Thank you Tom Russell 541-390-3740 cell/texts 541-318-5902

Jefferson County Oregon

1 Response

Check with NRCS in Redmond (Salmon Av.) . Farm Service Agency (FSA). Also check with your power provider. Electric Co-ops work with Wy'east RC&D and Pacific Power works with Energy Trust of Oregon. These programs will do irrigation energy audits (and other programs) for free and then offer a cost share program to increase power (and water use) efficiency. NRCS has irrigation engineers who can help with design of systems and ponds.

Once your systems are in, I certainly can offer some advice on management and irrigation scheduling.

Mylen Bohle
Area Extension Agronomist
Central Oregon
OSU Crook Copunty Extension Service
498 SE Lynn Blvd
Prineville. OR 97754
Ph: 541-447-6228