Lawn care

I have different types of mushrooms growing in my lawn. How do I stop them and are they dangerous to children and adults if eaten, touched or simple contact with person

Washington County Oregon

Thank you for your question. The existence of mushrooms in a lawn is an indication that there is rotting fiber, such as roots, underground. Funguses in the soil break down the fiber, returning it to nutrients that can be re-used by new plants. The mushrooms are the "fruiting bodies" of the fungus, and create spores, much like flowering plants create seeds. We cannot lump all mushrooms into a "safe" or "unsafe" category, because they all differ, and each species of fungus grows on distinct species of plants. You should assume, therefore, that no animal--two or four legged--should consume these. The easiest control method is just to mow them down. They will cease growing once the temperature and rain changes. In the meantime, just leave them alone, knowing there is valuable recycling going on under the surface. Good luck!