Flowers of the Amur Honeysuckle for skin care products

I have Amur honeysuckle in my yard, and I was wondering if I can use the white flowers for making a salve for skin care. I know the berries, the leaves, and this stems are toxic. I am only asking about the white flowers, if they are safe to eat or use in body care products.

Thank you highly for your time,

Malissa H.

Ohio

Hello and thank you for your question.

Amur honeysuckle, while sold in the landscape trade, is considered an invasive species and can have a negative impact on wildlife and natural areas where it can become established and create a mono-culture where nothing else grows. I have included a link with some additional information:

https://www.invasive.org/weedcd/pdfs/wow/amur-honeysuckle.pdf

Now back to your question. I have a copy of one of the Peterson Field Guides, Medicinal Plants and Herbs.

It lists Japanese honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica), but not amur honeysuckle (Lonicera maackii ). It did mention that the Japanese honeysuckle was commonly used in Chinese medicine.

With that said, anyone can have a reaction to anything. While poison ivy is a commonly know plant to cause rashes, not everyone is allegric.

If you experiment with the flowers in making salve, I would begin by only using a small amount on a small area. I was not able to find any research based information, although there in some information from the public and their experiences. Some posts say honeysuckle - and does not identify which species.

While you likely enjoy the plant in your landscape, you could consider managing the plant so that it doesn't spread to other areas. Pruning after the plant is done flowering will reduce or eliminate the fruit that will be produced.

I am sorry I could not find any additional information. Amy