Backyard drainage recommendation

I have a drain between my backyard and my neighbors. My yard mostly slopes to drain into that drain but the channel it follows clogs easily and the backyard doesn't really drain fully so there are typically wet, marshy spots where it doesn't dry fully. I am trying to figure out what kind of professional help to enlist to take a look at what I could do to better define the drainage channel and better slope my yard to utilize it. I'm thinking a mixture of a stone channel or maybe a french drain and then plantings that would help absorb some of the excess water as well as adding topsoil in some areas. I don't have a ton of money to spend on the project though because I just bought the house last summer.

Kent County Michigan

Unfortunately there is no easy answer to this problem. It is something that likely needs a landscape architect consultation. The consultation would be the best thing to do before moving ahead since doing something and then having to re-do is very costly. A rain garden might be part of the solution. I hope you find a solution.