Hatching an egg

So, today I decided to open up the eggs inside of the incubator because the eggs were around 10 days late. But when I was opening the first one it was only half grown and it was still ALIVE! I was devastated because I had killed it. The thing is, I'm not sure why it was alive if it had been in there around 30 days! Plus it was only half grown

Clay County Kentucky

Wow, this is a tough question to answer. From your explanation, you must have hatched chicks before. The only things that I can think of is maybe the temperature and humidity were not in recommended ranges. Is your incubator new? The eggs need temps between 99 and 102 degrees Fahrenheit and relative humidity between 55% and 65%. We say 21 days to hatch but I am sure it is like humans. Some take more than 40 weeks to be born and some less. It also takes a while for a chicken to lay enough eggs for her to become broody and start setting on the eggs. What do you think?