Mushrooms

Asked May 19, 2020, 5:02 PM EDT

We have had our yard for 42 years, though last year we did have some septic issues and have to dig and reseed. This year throughout the grass we have many small mushrooms growing. First are they toixic? Second the yard is really full sun, will they just go away once the sun comes out?

Polk County Oregon

1 Response

These are called Haymakers Mushroom, and aren't toxic. There is old and incorrect information that they re hallucinogenic, but that is untrue. They are decomposing litter into nutrients. They re common in lawns in the spring. As things dry out, they will disappear.