Freeze without blanching

Does freezing kill nutrients if the fruit is not blanched? I was thinking about saving home-squeezed lemon juice.

Clackamas County Oregon

Thanks for asking Ask-the-Expert. I'm not quite sure how you would blanch lemon juice, but it freezes well. One thing to keep in mind, however. It's not safe to use it in a canning recipe, as you could not guarantee that the acidity level in the fresh juice would be standardized to 5%.

You never answered my question. I asked if freezing lemon juice WITHOUT BLANCHING IT would destroy the vitamin C. Your expert wrote she wasn't sure how someone would blanch lemon juice and warned me that I shouldn't use it in a canning recipe. AGAIN, THE QUESTION IS DOES FREEZING LEMON JUICE WITHOUT BLANCHING IT DESTROY THE VITAMIN C?

Because vitamin C is a water soluble nutrient, blanching the lemon juice could destroy the vitamin C content. Freezing the lemon juice without blanching it would not destroy the vitamin C content.

Thank you for answering my question. I have been buying extra food to reduce shopping trips during the virus and some of the lemons have gone bad.