Ornamental Cherry Leaves

Last week many leaves fell over night from a 20 yrs old ornamental cherry tree. It had been windy, but not THAT windy. The leaves that fell are heavily spotted which I assume indicates a fungus or other disease, although the leaves remaining on the tree appear to be clean. I have been here for 5 yrs and it has not occurred previously. Is this insignificant or should I do something? Thank you

Anne Arundel County Maryland

This looks like cherry shot hole, a common leaf spot disease. This can be common when we have wet spring weather and may continue to infect leaves throughout the growing season if rainy weather persists. You will also see some defoliation.
The leaf drop can also be attributed to heavy winds that we had recently.
The good news is that the tree may produce many more leaves than they need to feed themselves.

In most cases trees recover from these diseases and no treatment is necessary. Remove and dispose of fallen leaves. Here is more about it. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/cherry-shot-hole-flowering-cherries

Marian