Peach tree borers

I have a peach tree that is about nine years old and I’m quite sure it has peach tree borers at its base. It’s either the second or third year it’s been afflicted. It bloomed nicely and I’m hoping for peaches. How should I treat this situation? I hesitate to use insecticide since there are wonderful wild birds in my yard.

Washtenaw County Michigan

It is important to be sure you actually do have peach tree borers. There are a number of other pests or diseases or both that will attack peach trees. Read more here:

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/43113/peachtree-borer-FS-NYSIPM.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

If indeed you do have peach borers it may well not be possible to exercise control without insecticide use. A correct diagnosis is the first requirement and you could get that from a Certified Arborist, who could also treat the tree if needed and desired. Find one or more Certified Arborists in your zip code at www.treesaregood.org Go to the Find an Arborist tab. Arborist evaluations are not expensive and where you can learn exactly what is happening in your tree.

Good luck!