Tall pine tree

The roots are coming up top of ground about 20 to 30 feet out from trunk is this normal is there anything i can do to protect them I’m afraid storm’s may make it fall

Clermont County Ohio

Hi there, No it isn't normal for roots to come back up out of the ground. Usually roots will come up when they don't like where they are growing. A rock layer under the soil could cause this or unfavorable soil conditions. This must be an enormous tree for the roots to be surfacing that far from the trunk. Could you please attach photos of the tree, it's branches and the roots surfacing and reply to me? I am attaching a link to to Purdue University. They touch a bit on your problem. Most of the research based information I looked at agree, mulch is your best option. Removing any of the roots can be disastrous. I wish you the best with this and I would still appreciate some photo's if it is possible . https://www.purdue.edu/hla/sites/yardandgarden/when-tree-roots-surface/

I apologize that I forgot to mention in my original response that older trees can have this surfacing of roots as they expand over the years. Tree roots in general don't grow that far under the surface to begin with, so when they expand due to age yes it is more normal. If you are nervous about a tree and seems dangerous to you. You should contact a local arborist to evaluate whether the tree should be removed. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Even though we never like to remove trees, a very wise older gentleman once told me, " every year you wait to remove a tree, is a years growth you loose on a new tree". Still wishing you the best on this.