What’s infecting my Oak Leaf Hydrangeas?

Three brand new Oak Leaf hydrangeas, carefully planted, and they are each getting leaf curl, brown stems, and just drooping. They get nice sun and shade each day. It’s not instantaneous but slowly impacting them. Should I pull them all out due to some sort of disease? I have two other Oak Leafs in my yard, planted years ago, that are thriving. Thank you! Julie Appleby Jwa47@hotmail.com

Henrico County Virginia

Good morning, thank you for your question. We don't have any diseases that would take down the oakleaf hydrangea that quickly. So the problem is environmental or cultural.

Can you tell me how long ago you planted them? Tell me about the soil that you planted them in. Clayey? How have you watered them since planting? Tell me how you planted them. Have you fertilized them? How much mulch is on top of them (BTW, keep mulch 3" from plant stems)?

Thanks,
Ed